4.14.2010

im changing my major. again.

american studies.
history teaching.
history and humanities.
humanities.
i keep changing my mind and, therefore, my major.
lets just say my decision is just becoming more refined.
haha, if only.
but humanities.
yes.

in 7th grade i was required to take art.
this class is a faded memory in my head, i dont remember much about it.
i dont remember the name or face of my teacher.
i dont remember the friends that i sat by. (or if i even had friends).
i dont remember learning how to draw or paint.
actually, i dont remember much about 7th grade, in general. (thank goodness?).
but, i do remember these images:





these pieces of art were burned into my brain as an awkward little 12 year old.
the colors, the stories, and the emotions drew me in- and didnt let go.

i will never forget these images or their artists:
(close, kahlo, matisse, and picasso).
(dang, i had good taste as a kid!).

seeing that artwork for the first time was like the first time i read a langston hughes poem or the first time i did improv with my dancer girls.
i just got it.
it made sense- more sense than anything else in the world.
it was so emotional and so moving that it has never left me and i refuse to ever live without it.

so, humanities.
i shouldve known all along.

yes, its the major that after graduation, people warily say, "good luck!"
but i dont care.
i love it.
and thats all that matters.